Saturday, November 12, 2011

Morning at Mesa

Can you believe it?  I went the entire day yesterday and was not reminded even once that it was 11/11/11.  I did not even have time to blog for the day.  Today is 11/12/11, which is aesthetically pleasing but does not have the same chronological or metaphysical impact as yesterday did for many people.

On the other hand today took me to the Mesa Spanish SDA Church.  I had been invited a few months ago to preach for the main service.  As a side note, I had inadvertently double-booked myself to speak in two places at the same time during their original date scheduled.  Thankfully, we were able to re-schedule the date for today without much impact to their preaching schedule.

It was a bit of an odd request since I was asked to visit and preach a “stewardship” sermon.  Not only do I not work in the “stewardship” department, but I have had a career-long reputation for overlooking stewardship-type events in the church service.  I won’t even mention my shortcomings in the development side of my duties over the years.

In any case, I accepted the challenge without letting on regarding my hesitancy.  I preached a sermon entitled “La Fe de Oquis” with translated means “the Faith of Okies” but that with a play on words can come to mean “A Useless Faith.”   It would be difficult to explain the play on words that works for Hispanics of Mexican descent that is triggered by the use of such a title.  As it was I had to give sort of a history lesson on the Dust Bowl of the last century, in addition to labor relations in the Central Valley of California during the mass migration from the Dust Bowl States to the Central California.  Penny got lost in the language and claims she did not understand most of the sermon.  She stayed awake though, which is a good thing.

This afternoon I am headed to a wedding here in town.  Penny is getting herself ready.  This has provided me the time needed to blog a few lines.  She will be leaving tomorrow morning back to California.

No comments:

Post a Comment