Monday, November 14, 2011

Change in Plans

Today got off to an early start after a very restless night’s sleep.  I was able to produce a newsletter for Arizona Conference educational stakeholders and educators.  It had been over a month since my last edition due to all the interruptions and detours that pocked my last month. 

My plans going to bed last night were to travel, after the office worship, to Yuma to do some observations and then stay for their monthly school board meeting.  I was rudely reminded by a morning email that there was a major conflict which made my entire day change directions.  Instead of traveling to the Yuma school I made the decision to remain in Scottsdale and do my observations at TCE. 

The reality was that my presence was needed at this evening’s meeting at TCE.  They had graciously moved their board meeting dates to facilitate my attendance at their meeting.  My theory is that Yuma must have moved their school board meeting thus creating the conflict.  I will have another major conflict tomorrow due to another changed school board date.

In any case I enjoyed my observations today at TCE.  I am beginning to use a new instrument for my formative classroom observations in the elementary system.  They incorporate more differentiated instruction into the overall observation.  It took me a while to edit the previous template, but the result is a much more comprehensive form that will not only provide the assessment, but provide the teachers with a list of areas that I am looking for as I conduct my observations.

The TCE board is going through a transitional stage.  It is creating some interesting dynamics.  It is to be expected that most systems that employ humans will eventually face dynamics that will require a spirit of cooperation that may be counterintuitive to our natural tendencies.  I like working with people—the process may get dicey at times, but I still believe most people want to get along and are willing to work to make the common good the goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment