Friday, July 9, 2010

Caught Between to States

Since this is supposed to be some sort of journal/blog, I decided to simplify the daily header. I may vary it occasionally, but only as the situation warrants.
I have only been on the job half a week and already I am back in Riverside. It has been an eventful week. The week included one long trip from Riverside to Scottsdale hauling a Suburban and 6x10 trailer filled to capacity with the "basic" household stuff, a half day of unloading cargo, a two days of "work" at the office, a heart attack suffered by a brother-in-law, withdrawal symptoms due to lack of internet in the temporary housing, a quick trip back to Riverside, a tragedy with a sister-in-law's dog who had a serious encounter with a bottle of aspirin-and the week is not over. In hindsight it could have been worse, but you don't think about such logical statements when you in the midst of crisis.
Oh, did I mention my wife was viciously attacked by a hoard of blood-thirsty Arizona cannibal ants. I am quite certain that is not the official name for this particular species of ant. That is of course inconsequential, since that is how my wife, Penny, described the beasts when the ants defended their home en masse from my wife's feet of apocalyptic proportions (of course I mean, from an ant's tiny perspective. This clarification made necessary in the desire to continue living). In any case, my wife was assisting me in loading the Suburban in preparation for our return for the weekend when she found herself standing on the specific location where the previous tenant had quite clearly warned us not to stand since it was the home of a mega-polis anthill inhabited by a very aggressive ant family and a million of their closest relatives. She started jumping and screaming (Penny, not the previous tenant) as if her legs were on fire and clamoring for immediate assistance. I, of course, could not respond since I was in the midst of a major laughing attack set off by her jumping and screaming. Besides, I have an arrangement with fire ants-- they stay in yard, and I stay in my house. Only their tiny, and very annoying distant cousins are permitted inside the house, and then only if they are searching for water. The fire ants have many cousins.

No comments:

Post a Comment