Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day One on Day Six

You are correct- this is the first entry in this blog. Not surprisingly, I am a few days late beginning a task I had determined to begin on July 1, 2010. The truth is that it's already July 6, since it's already 12:30 something on Tuesday morning.
Now, I would think an introduction to this blog is appropriate at this time. Perhaps even a reason why I am setting off on this unpredictable trek. My name is Ruben A. Escalante, until recently, principal of Orangewood Academy, a small co-educational Adventist school in Garden Grove, California (five miles south of Disneyland, for those unacquainted with Southern California). I spent nine of the best years of my life immersed in the lives and times of my school community. My life was changed over the near decade I spent traveling the 91 Freeway that connects the Inland Empire to Orange County. I was content to remain for the foreseeable future working beside the incredible group of teachers and amazing students I had the privilege knowing over the years. But alas, I was invited to consider relocating to sunny Arizona to work as Superintendent of Schools for the Adventist Church.
In truth, the title is much more impressive than the actual position. The Adventist Church in Arizona has less than fifteen schools spread across the state. The schools range in size from a full-fledged boarding academy to a one room multi-grade school. So although the position is not impressive, the task is daunting. That is one reason I felt called to respond to the call to serve outside my comfort zone in California. I am trading in the sunny beaches for sun-baked rock formations. The California Poppy is displaced by the Saguaro Cactus. Cool ocean breezes give way to Monsoon tempests. Diamondbacks for Dodgers, Suns for Lakers, Coyotes for Kings... I don't think so. On the other hand, God did not call me to the desert for the sports scene.
This is the reason for this blog. I want to share my desert experience with anyone curious, interested, or simply suffering from insomnia some nameless night. I have lessons yet to learn. I have challenges to face. There are stories to be told. I do not know where the road will take me, but I am excited about the possibilities awaiting me along the way.
My eyes are beginning to feel heavy. A busy day awaits me. Thanks for joining me on my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment