Sunday, September 16, 2012

Departure from the Script

It was great day in Sedona, Arizona!  It has been a long time since Penny and I just spent a day together just being together.  So much of our lives in wrapped in what we do that it is not surprising how easily work swallows up life in its entirety.  Not good.  We rediscovered how much we enjoy being with each other in a non-professional role.  We went out to eat at a restaurant called the Javelina Cantina (Yes, that is how they spelled it).  After that culinary treat we went shopping for a considerable amount of time at a place called Tlaquepaque, in Sedona.  My friend PD recommended it to us during the previous evening’s wedding reception.  We spent some money (that was a bit uncomfortable).

On the way home we diverted from the rush to return to the Valley of the Sun and visited a site called Montezuma’s Castle and Montezuma’s Well (luckily there was no revenge there).  It was warm, but the sights were picturesque and informative.  It was an amazing place with a natural spring in the middle of the desert and a running creek (Beavers Creek).  Penny suggested we stop and I did.  No excuse that we needed to get home quickly.  No appointment waiting that demanded immediate attention.  I discovered I can actually depart from a predetermined travel plan and simply alter it by gently turning the steering wheel slightly to the right and exiting the Interstate.

We even took time upon our return to Scottsdale to visit Fashion Square!  I have always claimed I have an allergy to this mecca of extravagant spending, but I actually went in and left a few minutes later none the worse and with no enduring physical symptoms.

Tomorrow will bring its own share of challenges.  I have no control on the future or on the events that await me if and when I get there.  But I can choose to stop more often in deference to the love of my life.  I did so today!  Happy wife—happy life!  That sounds simple enough.   Good night, y’all. (229.0)

No comments:

Post a Comment