Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Back in the Classroom

I overslept for the third continuous day. I don’t know what it is. I have set me alarm to ring at 5:30 a.m. every weekday. Sabbath alarm goes off at 6:30 a.m. Sunday—well all bets are off!

The sad thing is that I have had a conference call appointment at 6:30 a.m. every day this week. I barely made it on Monday and was cut off before I got to participate. Well, you guessed it—I slept right through the conference call. No explanation. Didn’t hear the alarm might be a plausible explanation, but I always hear the alarm. I am beginning to think there is a reason why I should not be at that conference call....

Today was even worse, because I made sure prior to going to sleep to check to see if the alarm was functioning properly. Yet, come this morning I was awoken by Penny’s phone call at 6:49 a.m.! I don’t even know what to say to the people who were expecting me 20 minutes earlier. I sent the leader of the group an e-mail. I have no believable excuse. I told him I would stay up all night tonight if that is what it takes to get me to my assigned hour in the morning. I don’t know if I’ll make it all night, but I have sense that I will be waking up every hour on the hour to look at the alarm clock. I will probably do that until 6:00 a.m.; then I’ll fall asleep again and wake up at 7:00 a.m. Aaaargh!

On a brighter note I spent an enjoyable day on the campus of Thunderbird Adventist Academy. I visited a couple of classroom with the academy principal. We were just doing some informal observations. We observed two very engaging classes. One was a young math teacher trying to convey the concept of y-intersect and graphing an equation, or something to that effect. It’s been a couple of years since my last algebra class.

We also visited a Biology class. This teacher was very engaging and enthusiastic. She used video, Smart Board, and a combination of inductive and deductive approaches to her instruction. I would have enjoyed Biology a lot more if I had had a teacher like that. I actually did quite well in all my classes in high school, but slept through most of them. I think I woke up sometime during my last quarter in college. The rest is somewhat of a blur.

Today reminded me how much I miss teaching. There is something about molding young minds. Seeing the lights go on when you share a concept or explain a nuance is unlike anything else professionals experience. Relationships are established that last a lifetime. I occasionally encounter past students of mine. It is as if we had just come out of a classroom. Memories flood our sense. Experiences are shared. It is amazing. But the clock keeps ticking. It’s sad, in a sense. On the other hand, I still have the opportunity to soak it. There are still lives to be changes; young people to be saved; minds lifted above the ordinary of life. I can’t sleep though that!

No comments:

Post a Comment