Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sunday Sumptuous Servings by Senion Seniora

Yesterday went well at the Maricopa Village Church.   The school kids sang and recited Scripture.  That was pretty awesome.  There were some guest musicians from Alaska.  They were a treat.  I got to sit with Margie, the matriarch of this small country church on the Gila River Indian Reservation.  I didn’t get up to preach until close to 12:00 p.m., but I got through it without major incident or heckling   Of course I was under some time pressure since I had left my “I-do-not-speak-English-while-telling-me-in-English” mother at the Phoenix Central Spanish Church.  I found her sitting in the lobby with the head pastor, whose last name is also Escalante.  I did not ask what they were talking about for all that time.

We hit the road to California immediately after picking her up and traveled with nothing more to eat than oranges, grapefruit, nuts, sunflower seeds, and of course, Snickers Bars—these treats, of course, meant to keep the driver alert.  My stomach is never a happy camper after one of these trips, but it made sense to get there early and spend the evening with the family before leaving the next day.  We had a great time.  It is always worth it!

The meetings I will be attending will be held on the campus of PUC.  In addition to education days, when the superintendents go and get to know the prospective teachers soon to be graduating, there are some accompanying administrative meetings that are bundled up to take advantage of the gathering.  These include some Ed Code policy meetings, superintendent and associate superintendent meetings.  I also have some homework due for a WASC visit to the Calexico Mission School and some editing for the Adventist Journal of Education.

My mom turns 80 this Thursday and I will not be here to celebrate it with her.  So today I am celebrating with her by enjoying one of her heart attack Sunday morning breakfasts.  I believe she is preparing some fresh home-made salsa, coronary infarction beans, scrambled cholesterol enhanced eggs with stuff mixed in to elicit more taste and arterial constriction, home-made flour tortillas (because corn tortillas are more healthy), home-fried potatoes, and of course Worthington Breakfast Links, because we need the artificial ingredients to preserve us a little longer after we succumb to the massive heart attack at the end of breakfast.  But seriously, I am eating healthier and in smaller portions since my mom came to spend some time with me in Phoenix.  That of course in in Arizona!  It is purely and simply a survival skill.  But this is California; I will enjoy it while I am here and run a few extra miles before the end of my day.

It’s 11:24 a.m. in California.  I just finished breakfast.  I feel like a beached whale.  I may have to make that a half marathon to balance out the ledgers.  No eating for me until Wednesday.  (223.6)

No comments:

Post a Comment