Friday, February 3, 2012

Friday Feasting

It’s Friday and all is well. I spent a busy day working in my home quarters.  This made my soon-to-be-80 years of age mother very happy, since according to her she does not see me at all during the rest of the week.  This of course is not true to a degree.  I am not home much, since I do work, at least more than I did when I was fourteen years old, the age at which I apparently have been frozen in time in my mother’s mind.  There is a second reason I am not home as much—you see my mother believes it is the duty of any good mother to feed her son every time she sees him.  At least this seems to be the case with my mom.

This morning, for instance, by the time I got up to prepare my usual “green smoothie,” as I do every morning, she had already been cooking for some time.   She had prepared chilaquiles (crispy fried corn tortilla strips mixed with spicy tomato sauce, chopped onions, and other condiments), beans (fried, of course), eggs (did I mention—fried), and guacamole (you already know what that is, except my mom’s version of guacamole has added ingredients such as Mexican cheese and other spices that double or maybe even triple the calories).  I could not talk my way out of it.  My compromise was that I ate the meal with a tall glass of my “green smoothie.”  I don’t think it negatively impacted the calorie count.

I spent a good share of the day doing my neglected household duties, like washing my clothes (under my mother’s protest—she wants to wash them!).  I found the time to meet with representatives from Maranatha and the AAF.  The meeting went longer than I had anticipated, but we made some inroads and resolved some apparent impasses.  It was a very worthwhile meeting.  A lot of work lies ahead before the main Maranatha troop arrives!

On a side note, I welcome the comments you send.  It’s nice to know that people are reading my blog.  The reason I chose to write it is to give the reader a sense of what takes place in the life a not-so-typical superintendent of education in the Adventist Church.  I am hoping it will provide a window into the dynamics of church work, especially as it pertains to education.  I would love to publish all comments.  I have chosen to only publish those that are positive, since I want my blog to be a positive experience for those who read it.  I have dealt with some challenges in the past year and a half, but I have tried not to be negative regarding people or situations.  I may become introspective at times, but that is a good thing.  I want to do what I can to edify and not to knock down.  I may not always succeed in convincing people that is what I attempted to do, but such is the challenge of working with the saints.  Pray for me.  I need your prayers.  I will pray for you.  Good night and have a great Sabbath. 

By the way I will be preaching tomorrow at the Maricopa Village Church.   I am looking forward to it.  (223.5)

2 comments:

  1. Tio! I was laughing inside! Because I can't out loud where I'm at! Especially because I know how my Tia Sara is! hahaha. Oh mothers!
    Glad to know what's going on in your life.
    Maybe just maybe I can have the privilege to go with you someday to AZ and give company to my dear lonely aunt. lol. Take care! Wish you the bestest. Praying for your sermon manana.

    By the way, nice way to make my mouth water with all that description, but yes, typical Mexican meal with so many calories! ah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green whatever (can't call it a smoothie, just not right) vs chilaquiles, homemade as that. And you really had a choice? LOL

    ReplyDelete