Thursday, September 16, 2010

Thursday Night Blues

I went for a walk tonight. I put on my black Nike shorts, slipped into my gray Nike t-shirt, laced up my silver and red Asics running shoes. I grabbed my iPhone and head phones, tuned on Pandora Radio and started walking. I don’t know if I knew where I was going when I started. I just needed to get out of the house.
Please understand that when most Thursday afternoons roll around and before Sabbath morning kicks in I endure the most difficult part of my week. Forget school board meetings. Contentious conference committees are nothing. Late hours in the office pouring over an overdue project are a cakewalk compared to the seemingly endless hours stretching from the quiet hours of Thursday evening through the hectic minutes before the race to Sabbath School on Saturday morning.
I usually try my best to keep busy doing something, useful or not. Tonight nothing could silence the conspicuous solitude of life without Penny. The rest of the week I can drown in my work and push any thoughts of separation out of mind and out of sight. But not tonight! My heart, which some believe I don’t have, was hurting. I was in a definite state of melancholy.
Two hours of walking down Scottsdale Road took me to Frank Lloyd Wright Avenue and back. It was a balmy 95⁰ with no measurable wind. I didn’t take water with me. I was parched half way through my night walk. I talked to Penny on the phone and listened to Pandora Radio. I obviously made it home since I am now writing about it, so it seems I survived my excursion. My heart will survive to beat another day.
I guess this is the price I must pay for the opportunity to be part of a miracle in the making in Arizona. I am in for the duration. I better get my heart checked.

No comments:

Post a Comment