Friday, September 17, 2010

Sabbath Rest?

Sabbath Rest. Tomorrow will be a restfully busy day. I will still get up at a somewhat early hour-- by choice. I will still have to travel-- probably more than I do on a typical day-- by choice. I will preach a sermon. I will participate in a group discussion. I will spend time with people; a mixture of those who want or need to see me for various reasons. That appears to be the same. But it's not the same at all-- by choice. But not the choice you may think.
Yes it's true I choose to participate in all those ways that make Sabbath so special when compared to the other days of the week. Still it feels different-- but ultimately it is not my choice that makes Sabbath stand out. It's His choice.
In the universal context, yet in an ever so personal way, God chose. He chose to create me. He chose to give me life. He chose to give me freedom to make choices. He chose to take a chance on me knowing that I would mess up royally. Still He chose to make a day to spend with me, even if I chose not to show up. He chose to set aside 24 hours of His infinitely packed schedule to walk and talk with me even when I wander and ignore his chrono-investment in me.
Long before I was born, and long before I even gave Him the time of day-- He gave me a whole day to remind me that I have a place in the big scheme of things that blows away any puny self-centered dreams and goals.
Today I rest from the week of doing what is necessary in order to rest in the reality that what really matters has already been done for me-- His choice!
Happy Sabbath, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment