Monday, September 6, 2010

Sunday Morning Recap

After an eventful and busy week, which included an Education Board and an Executive Committee, the work week in Arizona ended with my providing entertainment and transportation for my nephew AJ who was in Phoenix to take his Nurse Anesthetist Boards on Thursday (which he passed with flying colors).
As a result, I ended up in Southern California a bit earlier than previously planned-- Thursday evening. Friday morning had been set aside for moving my mother's belongings from storage in my garage and from a PS storage facility in La Sierra, to her new residence in Desert Hot Springs, about 45 miles east of Riverside. She was secured affordable housing and care at a Senior Living facility. It will provide her the supervision she needs and the independence she clings to.

The move took place during the heat of the day, due to a number of complications that stretched my patience, not to mention my allotted time. It was 114 degrees while I was unloading the items from the van by myself, and carrying them from the parking lot to the apartment unit in the heart of the open courtyard. It was not a pleasant experience, although it was nice to do something for my all-too-independent mom. She was not there to help either.
Friday night brought some friends over to my son's house for a spirited discussion pertaining to Sabbath School teaching philosophy, the authority of Scripture, discussion versus facilitating styles, and theology. It was great. It reminded me of one of the things I will miss most while I am in Arizona-- the family "Friday Night at the Escalantes" tradition of gathering at one of our nuclear family homes for food and frank discussions regarding important spiritual and social themes. Family and friends often joined us. The discussions often went into the late of night, making rising the next morning a challenge.
I was honored to preach for Kid's Church at the La Sierra Spanish SDA Church on Sabbath morning. I enjoyed the rest of Sabbath with my extended family. It was wonderful. It will be nice when distance will be relative and time will be irrelevant when it comes to gatherings of family and friends in heaven. I still can't fathom how that will work, but I am looking forward to adjusting.
For the time being I will have to get used to the idea of separation from Penny, my children, my grandchildren, and my family. I will have to do relish every moment I have with them and treasure my new family and friends in Arizona. I will have to work harder to put myself out of business by doing my part to get people (young ones, in my case) to connect with their Savior. When earth's present history comes to a close and eternity begins in the new heaven and new earth God has in store-- I will officially be out of business and can find my joy once again in one of the common denominators between the present and the forever-- family and friends.
I better get back to practicing. See you on Monday in Arizona. Have a great Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment