Saturday, August 28, 2010

Sabbath Delight

No Internet last night in my son's house in Riverside, where I am visiting my college sweetheart, Penny, for the weekend. I should have been expecting it, since it has been my lot for the past 20 years or so-- at my arrival I was greeted in her classroom with specific duties pertaining to 9 new students she would be receiving on Monday. She was in overdrive and sucked me in with the wake she was leaving behind. She will now have 29 first-graders, after the exchange of students has been completed.
We had a chance to see Barry and Edie, Penny's sister and her husband, and talked about everything but the reason we were there-- to check up on Barry, who has been having some heart problems. He seemed fine. He was as feisty as ever! Weddings at the condo? "If I'm in your way-- move!" Boat mechanics? "Get it right, or get another job!" (The previous statements were personal embellishments for dramatic effect-- but barely). We even laughed at pictures of the grandchildren. Dan and Rachael, Penny's sister and my cousin-- married to each other, who had also been our transportation to the Solomon House, played their son Joe's CD (Great CD-- get one ASAP! Joe Gil is his name-- his style is a bend of John Lennon and Paul Simon with some very personal and spiritual overtones). Rachael was showing us the beautiful pictures of her newest grandchild back East. My son, not to be outdone, pointed out via e-mail that the file he was set by his auntie Rachael did not have any of those beautiful pictures attached. He was kind enough to attach a picture of "his child" for everyone's delight and enjoyment. No one expected Ruben, Jr. to attach the picture of a screeching demon child, with pointy ears, no less. We all laughed at that! Good times on a Friday evening.
We closed the evening by visiting my in-laws, Quintin and Margarita. We had a good time with them as well. We watched some "Esperanza TV", I for the first time. (I've lived a very sheltered life!). My mother-in-law, Margarita, can spin a tale like no one else in the world. She enjoyed telling us of her exploits of yonder years.
Family and Sabbath are treasures beyond measure. Thank you, God! Happy Sabbath, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment