Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Break in the Weather

After 59 days of temperatures above 100 degrees, there was finally a break in the weather pattern. Today the sky is overcast and the air is feels cool as a refreshing mist caresses my parched skin. The temperature is 69 degrees and I can almost feel an ocean breeze inside my room. I must confess that the change in the weather is probably due to the fact that I am in Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico, spending a day with my college sweetheart, Penny, overlooking the cool Pacific Ocean. I think I heard it was 153 degrees in Scottsdale yesterday.
Penny and I went to church yesterday in Garden Grove, California where we listened to Dan Smith preach the third installment in a three-part sermon series on Micah 6:8. Great thoughts and insights! We shared a meal at my daughter, Amanda's, and my son-in-law, Jeff's house. Then it was off with Janice, an international student, Amanda and Jeff, to Mexico to join up with my other two sons, Ruben, Jr. and Robert, my daughter-in-law, Janelle, and my two grandchildren, Elyse and Ruben, III. A two hour trip took most of four hours due to heavy traffic in Oceanside. Nonetheless, once we arrived we spent the late Sabbath afternoon on the beach, hunting for crabs and trying unsuccessfully to make a kite fly without any measurable wind. I followed my grandson around the beach as he dug holes and threw sand in all directions. I taught him to launch the sand clumps with his little shovel as high a he could to see if they would land on his head. He missed every time. I enjoyed a short one to one talk with my daughter, Amanda, while sitting on a rocky formation surrounded by crashing waves. We talked mostly about ministry and such.
Later that evening the whole family shared some fresh Italian food at a place called That's Amore. Very fresh and tasty. My Fettuccine Alfredo had more vegetables than pasta, for my taste...but Penny enjoyed my eating it. Spending a day with my family is wonderful, while it lasts. We had a lively discussion about Sabbath School teaching styles and religious intolerance. It reminded me of the Friday night gatherings at my house. It was great. Sadly, there is always the underlying reality that it is going to end much too soon. Pity party time...
In a late moment of reflection in the afterglow hours of the evening, I concluded that life, for now, is just that. Life this side of heaven is time granted us to share with our loved ones all the time knowing that it will essentially end much too soon. So I will treasure each and every moment. I will soak it in. And I will long for heaven, where the thoughts of separation will no longer apply.
I think I just heard a desert wind knocking on front door of the condo....gotta go. Duty calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment