Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wednesday Wamblings

In spite of my media fast I find myself letting it encroach on me in ways that are avoidable but not in a practical way.  I have succeeded in avoiding most media when I am by myself.  My long trips allow me more opportunity to talk with my passengers or to talk out loud with God.  It is different and not at all natural yet.  I sometimes blurt out in song to break the silence.  Other times I make a phone call (hands-free) to family or friends.  That makes time seem to go by more rapidly.  Ultimately, it provides me a lot of time to think.  That can be frustrating at times.  My mind races in all sorts of directions, often at the same time.  Other times it just tunes everything out and just sits there in neutral. 

I must confess that I am re-evaluating the Internet in the context of my media fast.  I rationalized the Internet as a sort of informational lifeline.  In spite of the obvious inconsistency of listening and at times watching news clips on the Internet, I considered it a necessary evil so to speak.  I am not sure I can do without that media, but I am thinking about it because it is becoming a sort of crutch to me in my quest for a clean slate—I believe I called it detoxing the mind.  Well, I am getting closer to shutting that channel off, at least as pertains to video media.  I thought the music media would be the hardest—it hasn’t been.  Like I said, I sing when the silence is deafening.  I am a visual person more than an auditory one.

I find myself watching a lot of silent TV while I am working out late at night at 24 Hour Fitness.  That is somewhat a concession and I am wondering how I would deal with that without seeming just plain weird to my fellow fatigued followers of fitness.  I could feign blindness and wear a dark set of Ray Bans.  I don’t know.  It’s an experiment.  So far I like the results, but not always the silence.  I often wonder if I enjoy visiting people more than I did before due to the possibility they will be watching TV.  Very sad… (230.3)

No comments:

Post a Comment