Thursday, May 5, 2011

Happy Cinco de Mayo

It’s Cinco de Mayo! It’s also 6:30 a.m. and I am in the office for a 7:00 a.m. Personnel Committee teleconference with a candidate for the Registrar’s position at TAA. Resumes are coming is at a pretty good clip for most positions that have opened up. It has been a very busy week. Considering it’s Thursday already and I have not blogged since last Saturday, that alone speaks for the pace for this week.

Mainly it’s been keeping up with the paperwork associated with the Superintendent’s role. It’s really not an overwhelming amount of paperwork; it’s more a matter of trying to get through the paperwork in the midst of interruptions and a multiplicity of other tasks that call for your attention. In all honesty I do not like paperwork, never have, never will. It’s a necessary evil, so I have to do my best to satisfy those who require it.

On the other hand, the people side of what I do has been enjoyable, through and through! Even when conversations have been tense, and perhaps not enjoyable in the classic sense, it is still working with people. That’s the reason I do what I do—the people! Whether they come in pint-sized shaped elementary kids, hormones with legs adolescents, questioning young adults, combative adults, cantankerous seniors (and by the way, these characteristics are not specific to any age group, by any means) —underneath all those types of people are children of God. I have to do my best to treat them with respect. That is no guarantee that I will not be misunderstood or our motive questioned, but ultimately I have to be at peace with the knowledge that I did my best to do what’s right.

Something out of the ordinary took place yesterday, I was asked to come to TAA and have a short Question & Answer period with the students. It was incredibly rewarding! The students asked some very poignant questions regarding the future of TAA and the changes that are in the works. I answered as best I could and it seemed as if they would have continued asking questions if more time had been available. Perhaps we’ll have to make it a regular event. People want answers regardless of their age. Keep praying for TAA, and quite honestly for all our schools inside and outside of the Arizona Conference. There are looming challenges across the gamut of schools across this land that will have to be addressed by Spirit-led people willing to step out in faith and attempt innovative and creative interventions. It’s an exciting time to be part of education.

Gotta go! Teleconference duty….

No comments:

Post a Comment