Friday, May 6, 2011

Four Moms and My Family

I spent the better part of today trying to take care of some legal maneuverings in Mexico, prior to heading out to Southern California and then to Central California to celebrate Mother’s Day. Yes, I have a mother. Actually, I have four!

I suppose that bears some explaining: 1) My birth mom, who raised me a good portion of my childhood and is largely responsible for the person I am today; 2) My step mom, who married the man who was married to my mom when I was born, and who remains involved in my life over the years; 3) My mother-in-law, who took me in as a son when I began stalking her daughter Penny (who I eventually married); and 4) A wonderful lady in Central California, who through a serendipitous series of events came to be known and referred to as “mom” during my years pastoring the church she attended. To this day my children still refer to her as Grandma Nancy. It makes for a somewhat interesting time of year, considering I also must remember the mother of my children (and the love of my life!).

Life is interesting. People are fascinating. God is amazing. How can we ever become apathetic or bored? God just keeps on surprising me every day with His gentle pleading and His more assertive prodding. I am sure glad God does not give up, even when we are tempted to do just that. I’m looking forward to seeing three of my moms this weekend and the fourth on May 10 (the officially recognized Mother’s Day in certain Latin countries—including Mexico).

Happy Sabbath!

No comments:

Post a Comment