Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Visitors from the West

Today is my last planned day in the office.  I will be out of town for the rest of 2011, although I anticipate I will be working most of the days in California—much remains still undone!

I had some special guests in town since Friday.  They provided transportation services for Penny on Friday.  Gary and Susan (and Penny) arrived late Friday afternoon. They ate a meal I had prepared for them.  They are still alive at this writing!  They stayed the weekend at the Westin off Greenway.  I have known Cousin Gary and his wife, Susan for close to two decades—wow, that’s hard to believe!  Our daughters went to school together through La Sierra Elementary and Academy.

Now they will always be remembered as our first and only visitors from California (not counting my mom).  We went to church on Sabbath morning at the Camelback Church.  The TAA choir, string ensemble, and handbells were featured in the main service.  They all did a wonderful job.  I felt very proud!  That afternoon we attended the Glendale Church’s Christmas Concert.  It was wonderful as well.  The church was full and the spirit was amazing.

 The evening took us back to the Camelback Church for the Phoenix Philharmonic Orchestra Ensemble and Choir’s rendition of Handel’s Messiah.  It truly was a memorable night.  The soloists were stellar, although the soprano took the night with her vivacious interpretations of her musical scores.  At the end of the night we were beat and called it a night.  Penny called it a night before the end of the concert!

Sunday was a special in-service day for teaching principals of elementary schools slated for evaluations in the spring of 2012.  Martha, my small school union representative and friend from the Pacific Union led out.  It was good morning and lunch was courtesy of Chipotle’s.  The afternoon included a birthday party for Brianna, a one year old girl in continual motion, followed by a dinner at the Cheesecake Factory.  Line that up with a late breakfast at The Good Egg restaurant and pizza night at the Westin playing “Gone Bananas” with Gary and Susan, followed by another lunch at an all-you-can-eat establishment and I am an inch away from gastronomical collapse.  I am not used to eating so much, although I must confess that I do it so well!

My friends are now off back to California.  Penny and I will launch our year-end break tomorrow.  California is awaiting us with a plateful of activities.  I am looking forward to it, while at the same time hoping for a moment of peace somewhere in the midst of the chaos.  I am determined not to eat more than I should during my time away from the Spartan surroundings of my duplex.  Gotta go!  Duty calls!  See you a few pounds from now!

Comments still welcomed!

1 comment:

  1. So will I now get some recognition as the first and so far only commentor from California on this blog! LOL

    ReplyDelete