Saturday, July 30, 2011

Sabbath in San Simeon


It was nice to sleep in this morning.   I woke up at 8:00 a.m. to the sounds of the Hope Channel.  Penny was on her Facebook account and as a result I heard my niece Alexis sing a song she composed and then listened to Daniel, my nephew, play a piano piece I suspect he also composed.  That was pretty cool.  It’s amazing to think that I can listen to songs from family members who would probably be too shy to sing or play in front of me, but that are willing to put it out there for total strangers to hear on the Internet.

Today is planned for the superintendents.  We have an informal worship and fellowship time scheduled later this morning, followed by lunch and a tour of the bay later in the afternoon.  The superintendents and their spouses are a pleasant enough group of people.  We seem to get along quite well.  The newly appointed union-wide superintendent was a classmate of Penny’s way back many years ago.  There are three new superintendents in the union this year: Arlen is now  serving in the Nevada-Utah conference, Bill in Northern California, and Harold in Southern California.  Harold could not make it for this meeting. 

Last night we had an informal vespers program on a bluff overlooking the beach.  We sang a lot of old and older songs while sitting in front of the fire pit.  We ate some homemade vegi-patties, prepared from scratch by Ted, the Union Treasurer who is married to Beverly, the administrative assistant to the Superintendent of Schools of the union who used to work with the dean of men at La Sierra University when I went to school with…oh, never mind.  I could go on.  Fun group!  Looking forward to Sabbath.

No comments:

Post a Comment