Friday, April 29, 2011

That Friday Feeling

Hallelujah! It’s Friday! I am sitting in my office at the Conference Office working on the day the office is closed for business. I am not alone. There are other people here who, like me, find the quietness of the office on Fridays an excellent opportunity to catch up on some work.

Of course it helps that I am typing on my new Sony Vaio Computer. What is Vaio, you ask? It stands for Video Audio Integrated Operation. Pretty cool, huh? My old ASUS computer is going through a rebellious stage and has been sent in for a major overhaul. Maybe they’ll gut it while they are at it! On a positive note all my files and pictures survived the transfer. The IT guy was able to move every file from the server and from the old computer on to the new one. All I had to do was to load on my programs in order to utilize my files. (I actually worked with a person in the Philippines on the transfer of my Intuit business program.) I am up and running!

Personnel Committee is slated to meet on Monday to begin the process of going through resumes submitted for the positions opening up at TAA. It is a daunting task, considering we are already entering the month of May. Resumes are coming in occasionally, in addition to names being recommended by various sources. It’s interesting when you see certain names appear on more than one list. Those are the ones that call your attention. I have been making phone calls all week between my other duties. The responses to my calls run the gamut from “that’s interesting,” a polite way of saying “are you crazy?” to “tell me more,” a good sign that will not always translate into “keep me on the list.”

The phone calls have led to some very interesting discussions about the direction Adventist Education is headed and the need for new approaches to funding, student work, vision, and such things. It is refreshing to hear people all over the country who are passionate about education. It is possible to fall into the “Elijah Syndrome” and believe you are the only one fighting the battle. That’s crazy! There are people everywhere that want something better for our system. It will be exciting to see how and where God will lead through and often times in spite of our interference.

I am finishing my “Good News” Series at the Central Valley Spanish Church tomorrow. 25 Fundamental Beliefs down and only three more to go after tonight’s meeting. I’ve had a hoot! I am surprised people come coming back night after night. I’ve made some new friends (I need some right now!). I am all too aware that God once used a donkey to convey His word for the day. I am only too happy to allow Him to spread some good news through me wherever there are people willing to hear them (and we could all use some good news!).

Sabbath is a welcomed friend. Even if Sabbath is the busiest day of the week, it still is different from the rest if for no other reason than the fact that it is Sabbath! I miss the family! My daughter, Amanda is preaching her final sermon at the Garden Grove Church. She’s preaching on some topic related to the new heaven and the new earth. Wow! She has a gift. I don’t know how she is going to do it, since she is also moving homes today, even as I am writing these words. God bless you, Amanda!

No comments:

Post a Comment