Monday, April 25, 2011

God is Good-- What a Concept!

Another new week! It’s been an exceptional week already and it’s only Monday. I began my evangelistic series at the Central Valley Spanish Church, which is on the west side of Phoenix. The pastor is quite a character and the members are warm and inviting. It’s a new experience for me—all over again. It’s been years since I last conducted an evangelistic series. Back in those days we still called them “crusades,” which seems to politically incorrect today in light of the negative implications that word carries for many fine people of the Muslim persuasion.

In any case I am trying a new approach to evangelism—a 100% guarantee of good news the whole week. No beasts. No plagues. No arbitrary rules. Just Good News! It doesn’t seem far-fetched since the belief that God is good all the time is at the core of my picture of God. If there seems to be an occasion when God appears to be less that good, I would submit that the misperception lies in us, not in God’s act. Our limited understanding of God’s omniscience will keep us from grasping decisions God has made, which in the big picture and provided His knowledge of the end from the beginning, would in fact be loving choices. I recognize it is a personal choice to hold to this worldview, but the option is to concede that God has at times (and presently) acted in ways that are not loving because He is sovereign and we just have to trust Him when he acts “strangely.” You can see I have strong feelings about this. It’s a character of God issue to me.

Oh, by the way, my entire series in anchored in the story of Moses in Exodus 3. Oh yeah, I am covering all 28 fundamental beliefs of the church (as good news) out of that story. I’m quite excited about the journey. Every day a new message with a new slant on my core beliefs flowing from a unmovable tenet that God is good. Good News!

Personnel decisions at TAA are beginning to crystalize. The principal announced to the conference committees that he and his wife will not be returning next year. I believe they have been offered a new position in Texas. The Science teacher announced in class that she will not be returning next year. That opens the possibility that the Athletic Director for the school may not return, although he is more than welcomed to remain. The Math teacher is not returning for the new school year. On a positive note, we have secured a new Music Director for the school. The new music teacher will be an amazing asset to the TAA staff. I am delighted. There is a formidable list of candidates for the principal position. It will be busy week. Lots to do!

But God is good…all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment