Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Bah Humbug!

Christmas is in the air. Lights are glimmering like fireflies in formation on the eves of festive homes lit up for the season. Malls are brimming with people who are rushing to and fro like blood corpuscles on an adrenaline-generated mission. Christmas tunes are blaring endlessly in competing cacophonies of reindeers, snowmen, and sleigh bells drowning out the silent nights. I have two words for you, “Bah Humbug!”

I am wearing my Grinch neck-tie today in my no-so-silent protest against the fever pitched pace of the season. Give me a quiet evening by a fireplace listening to the giggles and mischievous murmurings of pint-sized little ones who still have not bought in to the mercenary worldview that joy is measured in the number of toys under the tree. I have two words for you again, “Bah Humbug!!”

I am compelled to decorate my genuine artificial Bonsai Tree behind my desk with the Christmas cards sent by well-meaning friends and colleagues to the office and some gifted Christmas-related tree hangings. It’s a weak attempt of propping up my negative propensity towards anything festivities associated with the season. “Bah Humbug!”

I am trying, mind you. I go to sleep to the sound of Christmas carols sung by an array of artists, foreign and domestic. I attended a church Christmas play about a Bethlehem innkeeper and his daughter and their apocryphal tale. I will be attending a Christmas concert tonight in Mesa and tomorrow I will sit down for another helping of Christmas music at the TCE Christmas concert, here is Scottsdale. Aaaaargh! How many days remain ‘til December 26?

At some point before my days are done perhaps there will be a magical and transcendent moment that will finally melt the Ebenezer-like heart. I will continue to seek that epiphany in the rare quiet moments of this time of year. Until then, I got two words for you--- “Merry Christmas.”

No comments:

Post a Comment