Friday, October 8, 2010

Northern Exposure

It’s been a couple days since my last confession…blog. It’s been a busy couple of days. In spite of what my brother, Art, may think, my days do not consist of short days with long lunch breaks— as a matter of fact, I take two long meal breaks in between my daily golf ministries commitments and my daily midafternoon nap time which provides ample opportunity for my virtual school visits. Oh, yeah, there are some committees that are required…but I send my regrets in anticipation of my absence.

I’m glad I got that off my chest! Now back to blogging. It’s Friday morning. The office is on a four-day schedule, as far as office hours are concerned. I am at home preparing for my sermon at the Midvale SDA Church in southern Tucson, AZ. My four-day office week became a three-day week since I had scheduled myself for a visit and observation day at the Verde Valley and Prescott schools. (I would schedule myself every day, just to get out of the office, but then I would miss my naps.)

I had not had a chance to get back to those schools since before their school years started. I am glad I went back. What I found were two schools full of children that love their school and their teachers. I found students who were courteous, kind, and considerate. The Verde Valley School was operating in the dark, since their electricity had been knocked out by a violent thunderstorm the previous day. The students went about their day with aplomb. The teacher dealt with the students individually, according to their needs. It was a thing of beauty.

Prescott, where I spent the afternoon and evening, due a scheduled School Board Meeting at the church, is a school reborn according to all the people I spoke to at the church. Last year the church was struggling to justify keeping the school open with only six students and a facility that was in disrepair. Without going into details, a new teacher was providentially raised from the community. He and his wife have turned the school around. They gutted and refurbished the classrooms. They recruited. They raised the awareness of the value of an Adventist education. They changed perceptions in the church and community. They have 18 students this year, with plans to grow and expand the school.

It was a long but rewarding day in northern Arizona. Donna Oft, the principal at the Verde Valley school, and I had an opportunity to talk for a considerable amount of time during my stay. She is very encouraged—and it shows. They are doing some very creative things to enhance their program. Parents are delighted with their choice to place their children in the school. Aaron Long, and his wife Carrie, are full of ideas and energy. Some big things are going to come out of this bold initiative in Prescott. I have a sense that the ripples from Arizona are going to begin to be felt across the Adventist system. It is an exciting, albeit challenging, time to be involved in Adventist Education.

I better get back to work; my nap time is almost here….

No comments:

Post a Comment